Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Yeah, Duh

Women's sports is a pretty complex issue in Feminist Jurisprudence. Here's the deal: women's sports are not as exciting as men's sports, because men are physically more developed. The top male athlete vs. the top female athlete in the same sport would favor the man 99% of the time, and the 1% would be because he was getting a drink of water. The common misconception is that people don't watch women's sports because they're sexist, or because they have some grudge against it as if it's hurting men's sports. This is completely false.

The reason people don't watch women's sports is because it's less exciting than men's sports. Men (for the most part) run faster, hit harder, jump higher and kick further than women. Consider this: people love watching sports. Don't you think that they'd also love it if they had more sports to watch? I wouldn't care if it was a man or a woman playing soccer as long as it was an awesome match and it was entertaining. Unfortunately, I've watched women's soccer and I've watched men's soccer. Women's soccer doesn't interest me. It has nothing to do with sexism; hell, I WISH it fascinated me. I long for the day when I can watch twice as much soccer, first watching the women's matches and then switching over to the men's. That isn't the reality of the situation.

Because of the above situation, women's sports recieve far less attention. Ask yourself though, "in today's economy, is there really a monetary upside to ignoring women's sports if it's as entertaining as men's? Surely then it would garner equal, if not higher, ratings." If women's sports were equal to men's, it would be a pretty stupid broadcast network that ignored a potential cash cow that would essentially double its revenue. ESPN would go out of business if it only showed men doing slam dunks when women were doing the same thing. The problem is that women AREN'T doing the same thing.

I am fully behind giving women the opportunity to play sports and I also fully support women's sports teams. That doesn't mean I want to watch them, but it does mean that I am all for that equality. Moral support doesn't mean much, however, when viewers vote with their eyes and with their wallets. And that's what it really comes down to. (See, somehow I kind of tied that back into Economic Analysis of Law).

2 comments:

  1. I agree totally with Evan. Men sports are more interesting not because of people being biased against women, but because men are more athletic. I too am for women playing sports but it just isn't as exciting. Watching the WNBA is terrible compared to the NBA. First there is no dunks and no really good athletic plays. It is nothing against women it is just that they are not as athletic as men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. We live in a free-market economy and I can choose to watch whatever sport I want without being sexist. You put it very concisely: women's sports are not as fun to watch. Hell some women's sports don't even have the same rules. Women use smaller balls in basketball and women's lacrosse is completely different and less exciting than men's. If women's sports were more exciting, more people would watch them.

    ReplyDelete