Thursday, December 10, 2009

Minorities in Law

Quotas are illegal. In Keith Donnley’s post, he states “I do believe different minorities, genders, and races need to be represented in a law school to have some type of diversity in outlook and disposition, I think is more important to have quality candidates, individuals who are "the cream of the crop" so to say.” I agree that highly qualified candidates are the ones who should get into school and be representing in jobs. Don’t get me wrong it’s great to have others to be represented in our law and in law schools. However, I know that if I don’t get into law school and some minority does who is not as highly qualified as I am, I will be very upset. I do not understand why some people think this is fair to do. The argument I hear most often is “oh, well this minority did not get as good of an education as you because you have the benefit of going to a better school.” In Orlando, Florida, Jones High school is predominately black. Jones high school failed the Florida assessment exam three years in a row. After this Jones got a full renovation inside and out, they were given new desks, paper, pencils, top of the line technological equipment in the hopes that the students would pass. Also teachers from all over the state of Florida were handpicked to come and teach the students. The students were even given the chance to go to any other high school in Orlando to get a so called “better education”. Guess what happened the year after all of the renovations. Jones high school continued to fail the Florida assessment exam. Did those kids have less of an advantage over my education?
http://afterthelaw.blogspot.com/2009/11/quotas.html

2 comments:

  1. I agree that quotas are completely illegal and have been proven in the Supreme court case involving Michigan undergraduate. Michigan undergraduate and Michigan Law school both went to the Supreme Court deciding whether there diversity plans were constitutional. Michigan law said race was the factor and promoted diversity in the admission process. Michigan undergraduate said race as the factor and promoted preferences which means they had quotas and the Supreme Court ruled there admission process unconstitutional. Michigan law has the right idea by using merit and race as the deciding factors when getting into its law school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jim. I think that people should be admitted to law school based on their qualifications, not just because of their race or background. It's not fair that we come to school and work our butts off to get somewhere but them it's given to someone else who didn't work as hard as us because they didn't have as good as an education as we did. I remember that Michigan case that Wesley talks about. I agree that it should be unconstitutional that race should be a deciding factor.

    ReplyDelete