Thursday, December 10, 2009

To Check or Not to Check?

So I have been reading a few posts regarding Affirmative Action and how race is used as a determining factor sometimes. This makes me wonder why we even have to check that damn box on everything about what race we are? I mean, I understand schools like to know the percentages of the races represented at the school. But I feel like it gets to the point where they just see a certain box checked and their automatically accepted; the rest of their application or whatever it may be, is not even looked over. Wesley discussed the Michigan Law school case in his comment in which Michigan Law used race as a determining factor and Michigan undergraduate didn’t. I like that Michigan Law promoted diversity and all but why should someone who is of a certain race be automatically picked? I feel like that in a way is racism. I want to be picked because I worked hard and I am qualified, not because I am of a certain race. So in the end, some of us work our asses of for nothing because someone else is picked over us, and not even because they are more qualified; it’s because of a stupid checked box.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good point. Affirmative Action has caused a polarity in the scholarly world, as it puts a negative label on minorities and women that seems indicative of questioning; a woman may be viewed as receiving a scholarship or promotion etc. based solely off of the fact that she is a woman. Is this disparity right? Is affirmatove Action helping more than it is creating negative labels?

    ReplyDelete