Thursday, December 10, 2009

girl push-ups

Feminists want equal rights and opportunities for women. Women got the right to vote; they now receive higher education and obtain professional jobs. Gender relations have come a long way but feminists still want more. Feminists only want the advantages of being male to be equal for females. By taking this road, women hide behind their gender and take less responsibility.
For example, even though women are now allowed to join the military, they are still not required to register for the draft. All U.S. male citizens are required to register for the draft once they turn 18. It’s interesting that women fought to get into the military yet left out the part about registering for the draft.
Today, I was taking a physical fitness assessment for my walking class and I noticed something odd. In this assessment, you are required to perform sit-ups, push-ups, a sit and reach test and a bike test. While riding the bike, I noticed a girl doing “girl” push-ups. Yes, girl push-ups; the ones on your knees and not your feet. I just did push-ups the regular way, how can you allow her to do girl push-ups and grade us equally? The test does not ask how many girl push-ups you can do. Do girls not want to do regular push-ups as the test states? If women want to be judged equally to men, they can’t decide to take the easy route and hide behind their gender. Feminists have a habit of only pointing out the inequalities when they are not in favor of women.

2 comments:

  1. I think it there is certainly some truth to what you are stating. It seems, sometimes, that women want to have their cake and eat it too, that is, they like the idea of having more rights and responsibilities but don't want the negative affects of such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the girl push-ups thing too when I was taking my fitness assessment. Actually, one girl I know in my class was mad and offended because they made her do girl push-ups instead of regular ones. She asked to do them regularly and they said no, because their test was based on the girl ones. It's unfortunate that the testing center did that, because it makes all girls look bad when some of them can crank out more push-ups than me. In this case it's the institution that's holding women back, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete