Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Gay Parents

A topic of much controversy is the issue of gay couples being able to adopt. I can't honestly say that my opinion goes either way on the issue. Over the past four years of college I have found myself becoming much more accepting of gay people and their rights. I come from a very conservative rural town and the views of my parents are much different than my own have grown to be. Although society is changing and our views are becoming more accepting of homosexuals, transgenders, and their rights, we are still not at a point where this is completely accepted. The common norms of society have not become even equally half and half when it comes to those that live "alternative" lifestyles. I do believe that gay people have the same amount of compassion and ability to raise healthy and happy children, but I do not believe that those children will be treated equally when it comes to other children's ridicule and growing up in today's society. I have never met someone who has been raised by gay parents so I cannot say from experience whether or not they lived a different life than those that were raised by heterosexual parents. It can be argued that homosexual or transgender parents can actually be BETTER parents than heterosexual parents. Some people are unfortunate enough to be raised by divorced parents, single parents, or even no parents at all if they are orphans who never had the privilege to be adopted. The issue is one that each individual needs to take their own side on and I hope that eventually it will be accepted amongst all that homosexual and transgender people are just as capable as any other to raise healthy and happy children.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this post. I have always been in favor of gay rights and have always been accepting of such people. This is definitely a debate that will go on for decades and people will always feel very passionate about their opinion. I completely agree with the how you said that kids who are raised by gay parents may no be treated equally in our society, which is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reasoning behind negative views against same-sex parents is due to strong beliefs in social norms and traditions. As a society, the common practice is what we perceive as normal or acceptable, but does that necessarily mean it is the correct choice? Numerous events throughout in society have occurred due to a majority of individuals jumping onto the bandwagon, but is the majority rule the correct decision?

    ReplyDelete