Wednesday, December 9, 2009

gay adoption

The issue of gay adoption was brought up in class. Some argued that having two moms or two dads is detrimental to children as they would be the subject of ridicule from other classmates. Others argued that having two, same-sex parents would be better than only having one parent. Either way, gay adoption is sure to stir some debate. I don’t believe this dispute will be settled without a clear stance on gay marriage, a topic I chose not to discuss.
To be honest, I used to be against gay adoption. I thought that gays would teach their children to be gay. These children would be ridiculed in school for having two moms or two dads. I thought the boys would turn into wimps and the girls into tomboys. We debated gay marriage in one of my other classes and my viewpoint changed. I’ve heard stories from former classmates that said they were not ridiculed for having two moms. I’ve seen statistics that said children are no more likely to turn out gay if parents are gay. It seems these myths I previously believed are just common homosexual stereotypes.
Many children in the United States are currently orphans and don’t have any parents. Is it fair to deny these children a loving family just because of the parent’s sexual preference? I don’t think so. These children want parents no matter if they are black, white, blue, green, gay or straight. Times are changing and many more people are acceptant of homosexuals. Homosexuals can not be discriminated against in the workplace so why can’t they adopt an orphan child. By prohibiting gay adoption, we place thousands of children in a misfortuned situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment