Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Women and Rape

In class on Tuesday we had quite an interesting debate. One of the things discussed was the definition of rape and the power men have over women. I think that it is always looked at that men always have the power over women when it comes to sex. However, I think that women just have as much power as men do. Yes, men may be bigger and stronger but that doesn’t mean they are the dominate one. Women use their wits sometimes while men just use their strength. I worked at Rockview last summer and I had a bunch of rapists on my case load; obviously they were all men since it is an all male institute. These men were sick, the way they manipulated the women and children they raped and the lengths they went to just to have sex with them. So this sparked my interest while I was there about women and rape. I remember reading this one case about the woman who sexually molested her own daughters. The father was part of it too, but she was the master mind behind the whole thing. She told her daughters it was natural to be naked around the house and she even made them sleep naked with her and her husband. They also penetrated their daughters using pencils and other objects saying it was good for them. So women can be just as disgusting as men. Even though men commit these crimes more often, I think women are just as capable to commit horrible crimes.

4 comments:

  1. Nobody disputed that women can commit horrible crimes. I think the issue is that because the majority of these crimes are committed by men, the law takes that into account. That law then has social implications that affect women constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you have to look at each case individually. I personally feel that men and women are capable of doing the same thing. In this case that you pointed out it was one individual and she doesn't represent the entire gender of females. So I think we just need to as a society get away from the stereotypes that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Brian. Each individual is different and men and women are both capable of committing terrible crimes; men just happen to do so more than women. I really don't think gender has any impact on if a person is crazy. In response to the disturbing story, it's sad when the victim is a child because children are easily manipulated by adults. That is why children are given special protection under the law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Evan, I completely agree that the law only takes into account that men commit the majority of these crimes. I obviously didn't make my post clear because that's what I was getting at is that they need to change this because women are committing the same types of crimes.

    ReplyDelete