Thursday, December 10, 2009

Laws laws laws.

A large portion of this class has been defining Natural Law versus Positive Law. For the last day of class I want to go back to the definitions of these things to really think about opinions that have changed. Positive law is the "rule of the land" It is the law that is physically written down for us to adhere to. Natural law comes from a different place, from a "higher" place. Going into this course I was in the firm belief that these two were very connected. I now see that they are very connected for me because of my moral umbrella. I realize that not everybody lives under the same moral umbrella, and this is why we need positive laws. Yes, these laws sometimes seem ridiculous, or unfair, or biased, but without them I don't think that we would be able to function as a society. Natural law is different for every single individual, where positive law remains the same. It is funny that people can see the differences in moral umbrellas, but that there is so much debate over so much of positive law. What about juveniles in the death penalty? What about sexting?

No comments:

Post a Comment