Friday, October 30, 2009

Sports and Authority KD

I read in a previous blog about authority and respect. For example the individual wrote about how judges on American idol, well they're opinions are greatly respected.

Nonetheless, this topic made me think of other individuals in power and I thought of sports announcer/critics and how they, for the most part, really have no credibility, yet their opinion is valued so much. For instance, I look at someone like Tony Kornheiser and how he, never playing or coming close to an NFL football down in his life, criticizes football players and other athletes. Now it always frustrates me when I hear him talk because he has no idea what playing a professional sport is really like (neither do I) and therefore he shouldn't be considered an expert. This is why I am partial toward announcers/critics being former players/athletes themselves. At least they know what it is really like to play.

I also found it interesting to see how much respect we give athletes, how they generally lionized in the public's eyes. For example look at someone like Michael Jordan and Haynes/Ballpark Franks . Now what in the hell does a former basketball player know about Haynes underwear? Does he make them? Is he an underwear expert? Likewise, what in the hell does MJ know about ballpark franks? Does he kill the pigs? Does he go to the factory to see how they are made? Does he have some type of special taste ability? The answer to all of these questions is no. The fact of the matter is we have come to worship athletes (and celebrities) to the point that whatever they say is right and we should emulate them.

I think it is time we start forming our own opinions and become more critical thinkers as we live our lives. Someone like Megan Fox is hot, yes, but that doesn't mean she is infallible or I should do whatever she says on a commercial. She is a regular person that is attractive. That is it. Nothing more.

4 comments:

  1. I understand where you are coming from but if we didn't have the sports announcer and critics it wouldn't be as fun to watch the games. Sometimes we also need them because it help us form our own opinion about the game and the player. I don't feel we respect celebrities i feel we are entertain by them and some of us look up to them because we want to be them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I agree with Kristine, but you don't have to be an athlete, or even in shape, in order to have a vast knowledge of the sport in question. If you know enough about the theory of the game, and you've seen enough games, then it's generally acknowledged that you know what you're talking about. A good example would be a coach of a football team that has never played football. Would you ignore his opinion because he's never played? He can criticize all he likes as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what you are saying but I kind of disagree. As far as sports analyzers go, who cares. If you agree with them listen and shake your head, if you don't, yell at the TV and call them stupid. They are there for nothing more than our entertainment which I believe that they do a pretty good job of; I mean I watch every weekend. And about worshiping sports figures or celebrities, I would have to say that yes of course there are those who take it over the line, but most people are not going to buy product based solely of the celebrity. The company will use the celebrity to raise awareness of their product, but if the product sucks it's not going to help.

    ReplyDelete