Friday, October 2, 2009

Justification?

Is the murder of Clytaemestra justified? Thinking back to the first couple days of class, I find this topic interesting. Orestes is sent by Apollo to kill Clytaemestra because of her decision to kill Agamemnon, for multiple reasons. Personally, I could never even think about laying a finger on my mother, to harm her. She is the lady in my life who has always cared for me and raised me up to be the man I am today. Do you think that Orestes thought his actions all the way through before he killed his mother? We know that he killed her because he was sent by Apollo to do the act, and that Apollo would be there in the end to help him out. Personally in the end, I think that he should have just ignored Apollo. He ended up fleeing from where he lived, and then was brought in front of a jury and put on trial for murdering his mother. Now he has no family, he fled from his home, and is on trial. What could be worse? In the end we know that he is acquitted of the crime by Athena, but does this still justify the murder of his mother, and everything else he had to go through after her death? I realize that Apollo is a God that Orestes should listen to, but after all shouldn’t have Apollo came down to Clytaemestra to have her kill Agamemnon, for all of the things that he put her through? She has a right to be upset, and I think the Gods should have taken her side.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not entirely sure if Orestes was justified in killing Clytemnestra but I think you missed a big reason why he listened to Apollo. Orestes was told that if he did not listen he would be given a disease. So he was being coerced into killing his mother. I'm not sure whether Orestes wanted to kill her that badly but the fact that he had a god telling him to do it definitely influenced him.

    ReplyDelete