Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Morals vs Punishment

In class we had a discussion about if people deter from crimes because it goes against their morals or are they more afraid of the punishment. I personally believe we are becoming a less moral society because times are changing such as the advancement in technology. I think people in society deter from crime because of the punishment. For example when college students are drinking under the age of twenty one they are not thinking this is morally wrong they are wishing they wont get caught by the cops. We commit crimes certain crimes because of the punishment we will receive. For example one of the ten commandants is You shall not kill. If the punishment for committing homicide was not a possibility of serving a twenty years or more in prison people will kill more in our society. There are many times I saw people loose control of their anger and wish they can kill that person but out of fear of the punishment they don't. An another commandant is You shall not steal as we all know stealing is morally wrong but a lot of people in society steal for different reasons. The punishment sentence for someone who steals is not as long as a committing homicide. My question is what if the judicial legal system made crimes have the same punishment will people deter from crimes because of their morals?

4 comments:

  1. Again, I think one of the issues with the underage drinking example is that many young people think it is IMMORAL for the law to limit their consumption of alcohol. If you want to show that morality is not an issue in a person's decision to comply with the law, you would have to present a scenario where someone believes the law is morally justified and decides to break it anyway. Now, how many people under the age of 21 believe it is perfectly fair to set the legal drinking age at 21, yet still consume alcohol regardless of a law they find morally compelling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree there is a decadence to the society in which we live. Likewise, I agree that many people do not commit crimes out of fear of punishment. However, I think that is the problem in itself. That is, one should not "not commit" a crime simply due to the fact that they would be punished, but rather, they should "not commit" the crime because of some acceptance of a "higher law" or a positivist type of law. I am unsure, I suppose. It seems the punishment would take a consequential view of ethics while my view, in some regards, takes a duty based ethics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that many people do not commit crimes because of the punishment. The first thing most people think about when they are deciding if they are going to commit a crime is the punishment they could receive. The drinking scenario I believe shows that kids are more afraid at getting caught by police than trying to follow morals. If you would ask kids at a party about drinking they would not say that it is immoral for the government to stop me from drinking therefore I will drink. They would say I hope the police do not show up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that people commit crimes due to alternative reasoning besides possible punishment. In regards to drinking, I feel that kids instilled with fear as a result of possible police intervention as opposed to the act of drinking being morally "wrong".

    ReplyDelete