Thursday, October 8, 2009

Religion and the Law

Religion is always a major issue concerning the law. It has been deemed that there is a distinct separation between church and state in the United States. No matter how much we tell ourselves that this is always upheld, is it really? According to Traditional Natural Law Theorists, there is support of a “Higher Law”. To most people this “Higher Law “is God. When I think about this, I automatically think about religion. The idea of what is and what is not moral to me seems to come from religion. When I think of right and wrong I think of the Ten Commandments. I believe that most laws are actually based on religious aspects including what is written in the Ten Commandments. There may be some completely other reason why certain laws were made, but if the reason for it to be made was to judge something immoral, then it had some religious background. I do not think it is always intended this way, but just falls into place. Society is too easily shaped by religion. With this so, I think that this works. The religious aspect of the law seems to be just a minor facet and has appeared to evolve over the years. The law changes as time changes. The law has always upheld the morality basis. Morality has been ingrained into individuals even though it has a connection with religion.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your post. Although separation of church and state is not definite or distinct, I do believe our current system works properly. Law will always reflect moral values and these morals often come from religion. I do not believe this practice is bad as it has been working well since the first law was ever created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many people feel the same way as you do about morals being from the Ten Commandments. Many laws and such are made to enforce morality, and some are more or less the same as the commandments (such as not killing or stealing). While the government may claim separation of church and state, there will always be an overlap of their beliefs.

    ReplyDelete