Sunday, October 11, 2009

Good is good

We are not machines; we are humans. That means we have emotions and we have logical reasoning skills. Before anyone tells us, we should know that inflicting pain onto others is bad and helping out a friend is good.
I think most people can agree that the Ten Commandments includes moral rules. We can all agree that stealing and murdering is bad. Do we really need some divine being to tell us that? I don't think so. Can't people just do what they think is good, and not what a higher power would deem "good."
Sure, different individuals have unique moral codes. However, I think that any mentally stable, reasonable, and logical human should be able to determine right from wrong without citing a religious text. There is some gray area, but that's where law (written by humans; not God) comes into play. Wondering about whether some abstract higher power deems something "right" or "good" is just a waste of time.
I think what I'm saying is that something is good or bad whether or not a supposed God deems it as such. Reasonable people shouldn't need a God to declare something right. Therefore, something does not become good once God says it is.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this to a certain extent. I do believe that these values should all be inherently embedded within us. I believe that we should all have the good sense to know all things about good without being told. But I also believe that a belief in a higher power gives people more incentive to behave the way that they should. When one believes that God is watching what he does- he realizes that there are more consequences than meet the eye.

    ReplyDelete