Monday, November 9, 2009

Response KD Sports

Dear tds:


I just read your comments and I would like to note a few observations I have made.

First, I indeed believe the post regarding sports and authority is related to law. That is, particular areas of jurisprudence require citizens of a country/state to adhere to--or have respect for--some type law/individuals administrating the law; essentially, there must be some form of trust between the two, namely the administrator of the law and the citizen adhering to the law. Nonetheless, I was, therefore, in my previous post, simply noting the fact that yes, this takes place in our country--and not only with governments officials but also sports announcers; we trust their [sports announcer’s] opinions when some of them--tony kornhesier in particular--have never played a professional sport. Hence, I was creating a metaphor in my previous post between trusting the figures administering the law, namely the fact that figures administrating the law appear credible and we trust them, and trust in sports announcers, namely the fact that they may not be credible yet most of us trust them.

I would next like to address your statement that I am attacking others. I would first like to note that I am, nowhere in this or previous post, "attacking" another member or members of our class; I was, and am, simply asserting my opinions about what we are learning. And while I assert my opinion, I try relate the material we are learning to events/criteria outside of the classroom (i.e. sports) so that others may also make comments (i.e. yourself) and the material itself becomes richer (i.e. you actually caring about my previous post and thus making a post commenting on my previous post). With that said, I would now like to raise an important fact: I have never called out a particular individual; I never have attacked another individual in our classroom; however, you, in your previous post, have called out another individual; you have attacked another individual.

My case in point with my previous post is the following: It is a tragedy that most Americans can easily name 44 sports figures, yet cannot name the 44 presidents; it is a tragedy that many religiously watch their particular sports team but do not watch the news or follow current events with such fervor; it is a tragedy that sports is the main priority of this country. Now I am not against sports by any means. In fact, I watch the Steelers and Penn State almost every week; however, what I am against is individuals caring more about the Steelers or Penn State than what is going in their own country, their own world. Why is it that when Penn State loses to Iowa everyone is extremely upset but the fact that 40-50 million Americans do not have health care cause the same anger with the same individuals (it might but not the same extent)? Sports are fun, yes. But what matters, what our main priority should be, is the overall well being of the individuals in this world. If we could have the same loyalty, the same fervor, that individuals have toward a particular team toward helping and bettering others, I could only imagine how different a world this would be.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to apologize for the tactless manor in which I replied to your previous post. While I do not agree with your points any more than I did before, the manner in which I addressed the issue was inappropriate for this class blog. It seems as though we have very different moral, political and social views and that it would simply be an impossibility for either one of us to agree on any matter. Therefore for the remainder of this class, I will refrain from commenting on any more of your posts. (I hope this serves to show you Mr. Kurdys that things are not getting out of hand becuase youre office hours are not conducive to my schedule, and I do not feel taht it is necessary for us to schedule a separate meeting).
    Respectfully submitted,
    TS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also would like to apologize, that is, my initial post regarding sports was not written in anything close to a tactful manner. In the future I will phrase my blogs/comments more gracefully, a way in which I may not offend anyone in the classroom.

    People disagree about issues like the one we had all the time, and it that is alright people disagree; not everyone has the same opinions. I am glad, however, that enough respect exists between us that we recognize our differences and not allow something of this to get out of control.

    Again, my apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Americans seriously need to reassess their priorities. It is an outrage that for instance, your typical college student can easily name the final contestants in the latest American Idol television show but cannot name their state’s representatives, Governor or Senator. Sports and entertainment blind people today and distract them from the many real issues taking place in society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your first paragraph you make the same mistake as those who made the comparison of the Milgram studies. As a balding, middle aged man, Tony Kornheiser does not at all "look" like he knows about sports. We accept him as an authority not only because he is on ESPN, but also because of his background as an analyst. Keep in mind that "he who cannot do, teaches (i.e. Mike Tomlin was not good at football, does that mean he's an incapable coach?)" While I agree with your last paragraph that people don't care enough about vital issues, you should avoid the pretentious presentation and unnecessary insertion of your political views.

    ReplyDelete