Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hierarchy in School

I do not believe that my experiences with institutional hierarchies, teacher-student, and student-student relationships fit into any of the standard reactions to hierarchy that Kennedy outlines. I think that Kennedy’s account better reflects the experiences and relationships in a more professional setting, mainly graduate school and law school. I am almost done with my college career and can say that this has not applied to any of my relationships with teachers or students. The relationships I have had with my teachers throughout college were far more casual than the ones outlined by Kennedy. These relationships were relatively simple; the teacher was in charge, gave lectures, assigned homework, gave tests and assigned grades. Most teachers I had never totally assumed a dictator like position and instead allowed for some democracy in the classroom such as asking us for our input on how classes should be run and about which assignments we preferred. As far as the actual hierarchy goes, I honestly have never truly considered it but obviously students are at the bottom and teachers at the top, because they have the information we need and the power to pass or fail us, thus having a direct impact on our education and progress towards our careers. On the other hand, we have far less power and control over the teachers, all we can do as students is file complaints or give them bad scores on the student rating of teacher effectiveness (SRTE). Also, I would imagine teachers with tenure are even higher in this hierarchy.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on that most professors involve the students when making decisions and that this is very effective in keeping order in the class. However, do you think this is the best way to go about it? What if they did dictate every aspect of the class? I feel like if the teachers took a more positivist approach it could be very effective. Everyone would know the rules and if we broke that rule we would face the consequences. At the same time however, i do not feel that this would go over well in the classes which would lead to more negative feedback on the SRTE's which would effect the professors reputation and that would hurt them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both Alex and Andrew. I don't really see the hierarchy here at Penn State that Kennedy talks about. Yes, it's clear that the students are on the bottom and professors at the top but otherwise Alex is correct. Professors do involve the students a lot in their classes. Many times professors have changed the way they do thinks in the semester because they recieved feedback from students in the previous semester. I like that the professors include us because it makes me feel like we important to them and that they aren't just here to pass or fail us. When professors just stand up and lecture in front of us without really giving us much to work off of, then I feel like they don't want to even be there which makes me not want to be there. Professors that do that make it seem like they don't care about the students and they are just there because they have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems accurate from Kennedy's article that undergraduate education is far more casual than professional education. Why do you think there is this disparity? Why would professional school become a more obviously hierarchical atmosphere?

    Additionally, no one has mentioned hierarchies among students. Are they similarly absent? Has anyone experienced anything like hierarchical relations among students and what form do they take?

    ReplyDelete