Thursday, September 24, 2009

Feminism v. Humanism

According to the theory of Feminist Jurisprudence, the law has been a key player in the oppression of women throughout the decades. However, I feel that this is a skewed way to view our society. I agree with the idea of a movement to make women equal. But I feel as though it should not stop with one group of people.
I do not believe that the law has restricted women in the past, I feel as though it has been the societal norms. When one looks through history he would be hard pressed to find a law stating “Women are not permitted to work.” The dominance model of Feminist Jurisprudence suggests that the societal image of women is shaped by men, and men possess the dominant position. This is a difficult model to view because it leaves very little leeway for the actual agency and autonomy of women.
Feminist Jurisprudence encourages the amendment and development of laws that help create a general sense of equality. I feel as though law has been an aid to the equality of women, not an aid to the oppression of women.
As far as the model goes, I cannot help but agree with creating equality for women, but I feel as though it really should not stop there. I feel as though a better model to follow would be something more along the lines of “Humanist Jurisprudence.”
Relating to our class discussion today- I would like to point out that laws have been created for male equality too. The idea of paternity leave was never around until recently, and that was created for male equality.
I guess the question I am asking is, is feminism at all a good thing? Couldn’t we say that they important message is humanism?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you I don't think that the law was put out to oppress women but it is a norm by our society. Women are more nurturing and have always been the main factor in raising children. I think that men have been given the norm as the workers because they are stronger and in the older days they are the ones that worked mostly in the fields farming and building things. This I feel has been past on overtime as the way men and women live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with this post. It was not the law gave women a lesser role in our society than men. It was the societal norms back in the day. Women were not considered equal to men. The man was the traditional provider for the family and the women's role was to be a homemaker and take care of the children.

    ReplyDelete