Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Will to Live Project

With all the talk about Euthanasia and the right to live, no one in class has come up with any alternatives or solutions in determining this issue. We can not prevent emergency situations or problems under the law where a person can not determine their own fate. But, I guess I want to know should it legally be required to have a system put in place so that physicians and family know what recourse to follow, if you should become unable to make a decision for yourself. I came across some legal documentations that have already been but in place which allow a person to safeguard against an unwanted decision for their life once they are no longer to make their own choices. The Will To Live Project allows you to make your own choice in case a situation like this occurs in your life. Here is the overview of what the project is:
THE WILL TO LIVE protects your own life and the lives of
your family members when you cannot speak for yourselves

* Names someone you trust to safeguard your life when you cannot speak for yourself as your "health care agent"
* Names backup agents if your first choice can't serve
* Describes the treatment you do and do not want to guide your health care agent and physicians
* Protects your family and health care agent from pressure from health care providers and others by allowing them to prove what you really did want
* Relieves the agony of decision making for them by making your wishes clear

What is the Will to Live?

The Will to Live is a legal document that you can sign which:

Names someone to make health care decisions for you (your "heath care agent') if you develop a condition that makes it impossible for you to speak for yourself (become "incompetent"), and

Makes clear (in the form of written instructions to your health care agent) what medical treatment you would want if you can no longer speak for yourself.

So, since we have this and it is legally binding, should it be required for all once you reach the age of an adult? And, is society aware that this option is available to them? Would you use this?

2 comments:

  1. Strangely enough, I actually have signed a Will to Live. I do believe that Living Wills have been around for a while and that most people are aware of them along with DNRs (do not resuscitate). While I feel that I am obligated to have these legal documents made for me, I don't feel that adults should be required to have this. Most people don't want to think about death at any age, let alone the possibilities of being unable to make decisions.

    What age would seem reasonable anyway? We are all mortal and more fragile than you can believe. You could go into a coma at 100 or step out in front of a CATA bus and end up in a coma at 21. And attitudes change all the time - sometimes in the course of one day.

    I told my family of my decision to create a living will shortly after I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. They weren't absolutely thrilled at first, but now they are relieved to know that I have made a conscious decision about my future that they do not have to fret about. I am probably at the peak of my health (sarcastic laugh) and cognitive functioning right now and it only makes sense to think about this stuff when I am most fit and rational. I know that I have the option of changing my living will if perhaps they find a cure in my lifetime - but hope is not a word I use often.

    My family also believes in assisted suicide, yet I don't find that topic as simple. Its hard to have to imagine what would be your limit - what would be the amount of psychological pain you could handle before coming to a final decision? Yet if you discuss this with a doctor in PA, then they are required to take it as a serious suicidal ideation. At that point, they do not let you decide your own fate.

    This whole thing probably comes off rather morbid - but for anyone who has read this, I appeal to you to just take a moment and think. You don't have to run out and get a living will, but sometimes I don't think college students can actually look ahead at a realistic future. Your decisions now can probably make a bad situation a little more tolerable for those who care for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel as though it's a good idea to get this done, and I'm actually glad to hear that such a thing exists. I would definitely sign one of these forms to save my family from the painstaking decision to make in the case that I cannot speak for myself. Besides it is my own body and I feel as though I'm the only one who should have a major role in whether or not I live in such a state. whether or not it should be required, I don't think we should force people to sign one of these wills, just because it is my personal belief that we shouldn't force them to face these issues if they don't choose to. However I do feel as though it should be encouraged for people to get this done, as it will facilitate a lot of decisions from both the patient's and the health care provider's side.

    ReplyDelete