Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Critical Race Theory

If you guys remember the presentation the other day on Critical Race Theory, and interesting question was asked by the CRT group. They asked the class if we felt it's strange if a minority goes through a day without experiencing any form of racism. At first I thought this notion was absolutely ridiculous, but then I started to think about it a little more, especially after Professor Kurdys starting throwing out the statistics for the number of the members of the black community who attend college, and how it hasn't changed in 40 years. So I have a proposition to make. I think we can all agree that on the individual level racism is on the decline, after all I find it very rare to see any form of racism going on in a given day on a one on one aspect. But after seeing what the CRT team and Professor Kurdys had to say I'm finding myself more inclined to believe that racism is still active on a larger level and perhaps in some of our legals systems. So I just wanted to see what the rest of you guys who didn't speak up in class during the presention were thinking.

4 comments:

  1. I feel that race is still a major concern in our country today, in many aspects of everyday activity. As a white male, I do not experience acts of discrimination or racism very frequently, especially on a campus such as Penn State, with little diversity. One level of our legal system where race is an important issue is that of corrections. Our prisons and jails are extremely overcrowded with the overwhelming majority of the inmates being minorities. An important question to ask is why is this occurring? Is it occurring because of unfair policing practices? Unfair representation in the courts? Or perhaps a whole different reason all together

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never liked the use of the word racism, because to me it means so much more that what one individual is capable of. I view racism as to oppress a group of people for achieving whether it is wealth, education, or resources based on their race. With that being said no one person can do that. As a black male, I do in fact experience discrimination constantly. I wouldn’t go so far as to say daily, but I do feel a sense of scrutiny and skepticism based on my race, and it’s something I’ve come to live with is a fact of our society. We have made tons of progression the dealing with racial relations in this country, and I do believe that racism has dramatically declined, but it is still evident and very much a part of our lives a society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe racism and prejudice is and always will be evident. No matter what. The movement for equality is growing, but i feel things like affirmative action get in the way of an "equal" society. It's like: we are all trying to be equal, but we will make your life easier because you are a minority. I don't want to sound prejudice because i am so far from it, but it's not a truly equal society. I know the statistics natter, but unless everyone has a fair chance, it will never be an equal society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that racism is declining on the individual level as well. Racism is far more powerful than what the average person sees it as. Typically, the public refers to the KKK if someone mentions racism. This is not the main problem anymore. The main problem is how the majority does not know anything at all what it is to live as a minority. Laws and legislation all typically hold white people at a higher place than their minority counterparts. I also think that racism will be around forever and will never go away, just because of people's stubbornness and natural way to feel comfortable around people that remind them of themselves and have a connection.

    ReplyDelete