Friday, August 7, 2009

During class today the modern natural law group briefly touched on the topic of abortion, although no one really voiced an opinion on the subject. I am sure that everyone has their own strong beliefs on this topic and I would like to share mine. Most of my feeling towards this subject are paralleled by those of proponents of pro choice. Rather than basing my arguments on profound religious beliefs I will simply state why realistically, I feel the decision should be up to the parties involved and not the government or lawmakers. Before the decision of Roe v. Wade many women resorted to many ‘back alley’ dangerous surgeries in order to perform abortions. The desire for this practice will always remain, and as with most illegal practices, people will find a way to find these means. With licensed doctors performing these surgeries in a safe and sufficient manner, we can assure that this practice is done in the safest means possible. Other important issues include whether or not a woman is old enough to take care of a child and whether a woman already has other children she needs to care for, leaving a child to be neglected. Other important elements that need to be considered are cases when a woman is raped. Should this woman be forced to give birth to a child that will only bring extremely detrimental feelings toward her? I agree that there are many strong arguments for anti-abortion laws, however, I feel that the ultimate choice should be left up to the parties directly involved.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I believe that if abortion became illegal then these "back-alley" operations would become more frequent. Preforming non certified operations would not only indefinitely kill the fetus but would most likely injure the woman, which is obviously immoral. You stated "With licensed doctors performing these surgeries in a safe and sufficient manner, we can assure that this practice is done in the safest means possible." I agree very much so, but also think that free clinics are very important. If people can't afford these procedures, even if they are legal, the might still resort to "back alley" procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the decision should be left to the people involved. I do not think that other people should have a say in what the woman involved should do with her body. Abortions might seem like the only answer for some people. Some women are not prepared to deal with having a baby and would also not make caring mothers. I also agree when you talk about the "back-alley" operations and how they would become more frequent if abortions would become illegal. However, there are also alternatives to abortions. You could give the baby up for adoption to a family that cannot have children. Also, abortions can result in problems with the reproductive organs that can make it difficult to conceive or carry a child to term in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I feel that many moral issues should remain in the hands of the individual. Although I don’t think the law should be against abortion, I think it should determine who can get one. I personally feel that abortion should not be used as a contraceptive but it should be available to those in extreme situations such as rape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that when it comes to the topic of abortion, it should be up to the individual to chose if they want the abortion or not. I believe that the government has no right attempting to intervene or have a say what an individual can and can not do to their body. If they are allowed to that in some ways makes that individuals body property of the government. Also, I believe that abortion should be pro-choice because there is supposed to be a separation of church and state. At no time is religion ever supposed to intervene in politics.

    ReplyDelete